Monday 6 October 2008

The Winter Season

I can tend to look forward to the Winter season with some trepidation as I seem to suffer somewhat from SAD and its not my most enjoyable time of the year. I think even people who aren't aware of it affecting them still suffer a loss of joy and enthusiasm. I don't know anyone in the UK who looks forward to the wet dreary weather that is so prevalent here from October onwards. That's what I used to love about the winters in Canada, no matter how cold it got you always had days of sunshine even in the middle of winter and the sun dancing on morning snows was just amazing. This year I am fighting back by God's grace and seeing the winter in a more positive light. We will do best in life if we learn to co-operate and make the most of the seasons we go through. I have friends with long term illnesses who are truly going through a winter season in their life. People like fishermen and farmers know how to make the most of the winters. Not just endure them but use them to prepare for the Spring season when suddenly there are opportunities to sow and even to reap an early harvest. BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE READY. Success belongs to those who prepare the best during the winter months. I am getting up earlier so I can pray longer and finding that I am more productive. I am seeking the high places in prayer so I can be best placed to sow and reap in the Spring season. I am paying attention to things in my heart that need to be put right which maybe I ignored over the summer because there was a sunny day to enjoy and things to do. I am going to make sure that I don't wear myself out in my day job but keep restful over the winter. I am taking a weeks holiday but not going anywhere but staying at home and resting except one day I am spending at a healing day. In fact I am taking advantage of several healing days allowing other ministries to minister to my heart spiritually and emotionally. I am using the winter months to take along hard look at how I have done this year and what I can do better next year. Where God has lead me this year , what I have learnt and what I need to do differently next year. I am cleaning my barns and mending my nets to use the farmer/fishermen analogy in the spirit. I am resisting the pressure to make major ife changing decisions and setting any course changes for fear that I will respond out of the dreariness of winter and take short cuts and give birth to Ishmaels. How does God want you to use this season so you can be most fruitful in the Spring ?? God bless you.

1 comment:

Furrukh said...

Hi Paul, well done on blogging, something we need to start one day....enjoyed your first post, keep em coming..