Friday 17 October 2008

Really good prayer meetings take two hours

There are set times for cooking certain foods. Cook an egg in 7 minutes and its going to be hard boiled which is fine but if you like your eggs soft boiled 3-4 minutes is the maximum. Timing can be crucial and this post only applies to life in the western world and for that matter life in the UK. I can' t turn to any scirptural evidence for this assertion it is just one of those things I have observed over the years and hundreds of cases have proved it to be correct. I first noticed this during the 1980's and so for twenty years I have watched examples of this. I would be interested to know if it bears out in the USA. I have to say I have been in prayer meetings that lasted minutes when on the mission field that had the desired result. In particular on occassions in Russia where we had an urgent need we would pray and minutes later we would get the answer. But I don't think I have ever been in a prayer meeting that lasted less than two hours which was very good or even very effective. This observation may be crucial for churches all over the UK because often a church prayer meeting will be timed to last one and a half hours. The first half hour might be worship or chatting about where people are at. Then you get down to business and pray and that barely last an hour. Then you go home feeling like you have done yoru duty but boy was it hard work and you don't look forward with anticipation to the next meeting. Prayer is a chore. Something happens in the last half hour of a two hour prayer meeting. It takes an hour and half to break free from the earth's gravity. After that you begin to soar. I was reminded of this last week at a prayer group I am part of because I could see the same pattern repeating itself. The first half hour we chatted about the economic crisis, then we got down to work and the first hour was hard going. Then suddenly in the last half hour revelation began to flow. We received insights into things that had happened years before that were still dragging the church back. You had the sense that we were engaged in breakthrough prayers and as we prayed into these things faith rose that things would change as result of these prayers. If we had been asked to stay we probably would have stayed longer such was the thrill and excitement of it all. Years ago when I was a home group leader in the SW London vineyard I held a prayer meeting once a month in my apartment and I saw the same thing. People would roll up at different times in the evening from work and it would be slow getting the thing going but at the two hour point when they would continue that long suddenly it would take off. One time it was difficult to get the people to leave at the end of the evening , there was just one prayer request they wanted to make. I think they realised in their spirits that we had touched heaven and this atmosphere prayers would make a difference. Once they sensed that all kinds of things needed our prayer attention and we could very possibly have continuned through the night. If you can explain to me why this is I would love to hear your theories. All I know is in the UK it is futile having a prayer meeeting lasting less than two hours they simply don't work. But go that extra half hour and you break through to glory.

No comments: